Burstcoin alias system
Burstcoin implements an alias system that translates alphanumeric text into almost anything: Burstcoin account addresses, email addresses, URLs, phone numbers, SKU codes, and more. Because the system is open-ended, it can provide a basis for any system that requires mapping one alphanumeric string to another. For example, it could be used as the basis for a decentralized DNS system, an online shopping cart application, etc.
The Alias System feature of Burstcoin essentially allows one piece of text to be substituted for another so that keywords or passphrases can be used to represent other things – names, telephone numbers, physical addresses, web sites, account numbers, email addresses, product SKU codes, etc.
A simple application would be to create easy-to-remember aliases for Burstcoin account numbers.
- To create an alias, send a transaction that states “This Text = That Text”. Use the ‘Aliases’ menu and click ‘Register Alias’.
- To change an alias, send another transaction with a new definition. Use the ‘Aliases’ menu and click ‘Edit’. Only the account that created an alias can change it.
Aliases can be any string of Latin-character numbers and letters.
- “126.96.36.199” (an IPv4 address)
- “2001:0db8:11a3:09d7:1f34:8a2e:07a0:765d” (an IPv6 address)
- “example.com/secretpage.php?parameter=value” (a URI)
- “email@example.com” (an email address)
- “tel:+44-20-8123-4567” (a telephone number)
There are 2 main ways to use Burstcoin aliases without relying on third-party plugins for your browser:
- Server-side: A web server analyzes the Burstcoin blockchain and replaces “burst-links” with corresponding addresses before sending HTML documents to users.
- Click on ‘Register Alias’ in the upper right corner.
- Select the ‘Type’: “URI”, “Account” or “Other”.
- In the ‘Alias’ field, enter the name without blank spaces.
- Depending on the selected ‘Type’, the text input field is named ‘URI’, ‘Account ID’ or ‘Data’. The ‘Data’ field can contain any text. The maximum length is 1,000 bytes.
- Enter your ‘Passphrase’ and click ‘Register’. It is listed in italics on the page.
- After the network has processed your message, it will be listed in normal font.
- Click on ‘Edit’ behind the alias you want to change.
- You can modify the ‘Type’ and ‘Data’, but you can not rename the ‘Alias’.
- Enter your ‘Passphrase’ and click ‘Update’.
Alias transfer or sale
- An alias can be transferred for the minimum Burstcoin fee.
- Aliases can be sold to specific Burstcoin accounts or to the general public. When selling aliases, the prices can be set individually.
- Click on the ‘Transfer’ button behind the alias to be transferred.
- Enter the ‘Recipient’ account id and a message (optional).
- Enter your ‘Passphrase’ and click ‘Transfer Alias’.
- Click on ‘Sell’ behind the alias to be sold.
- You can sell it to a specific user or offer it on the Burstcoin network.
- Enter the price and the corresponding data.
- Confirm with your passphrase and click on ‘Sell Alias’.